Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Education Store

Mondays are our "fun days" of homeschooling.  If you ask me, every day is fun (well, not EVERY day), but if you ask my boys, they'll say Mondays are our "fun days".

On Mondays, we do art, music, Spanish and critical thinking.  Doesn't that sound fun?!  While my boys thoroughly enjoy these subjects, I think they call it our "fun day" because we're usually done by 11am. 

Yesterday we finished at 10:30am.  So I decided to add a field trip to the theeater to see the new movie The Lorax.  However, the movie was not scheduled to start until 2:05.  So we had some time to kill...

We enjoyed lunch at Chic-Filet.  After we'd cleaned our plates, I read The Lorax to them.  But we still had a couple hours before the movie started.  So I drove down the main street, trying to decide what to do. 

I vaguely remembered someone mentioning that there is an education store closeby.  We kept our eyes peeled.  As soon as we spotted it, I got butterflies in my stomach.  I'm not normal.  I get so excited about homeschooling and finding homeschool stuff.  I practically jumped out of the minivan and ran into the store.  I opened the door, and I promise you it was like a chorus of angels welcomed me as my eyes feasted upon not one story of educational resources, but TWO stories!

The sales lady approached me, and all I could say was, "I am so amazed".  She could not hide her joy at my eagerness to shop.  She quickly showed me around and told me about their sales.  Then I was left to browse.  It was a good thing I had kidnapped my cousin for the day.  He kept an eye on my boys so I could revel in the awesomeness of this huge education store.  I spent the next 40 minutes walking around, "oohing" and "aahing" at all their products.  Even my boys enjoyed themselves (for the most part).  I'm not sure my cousin did though.

Amazingly, I left the store having spent only $58.  That may sound like a lot to some of you, but trust me, this is a good number for me.  I tend to get carried away when it comes to homeschooling.

I'm telling you all this to say, there are a LOT of resources available to us as homeschoolers.  Controlling one's spending on such things requires a LOT of self-discipline.  This is a work in progress for me.  I am sure I am not alone in that challenge.  Please feel free to share your spending struggles in the comments section below. 

Happy Homeschooling!

No comments:

Post a Comment