Monday, August 20, 2012

Day One

We started a new school year today at Chapel Hill Academy.

I couldn't sleep at all last night because I was so excited!  I love day one.  It marks the beginning of a new educational journey.  It's a day filled with new composition books and freshly sharpened pencils, three-ring binders and clean index cards.  While I love all these things, what I adore most about our first day is the potential it holds for the year to come.

I am filled with hope on that first day of school.  I'm hoping this year I'll get it right.  This year, I'll be more disciplined.  This year, I'll get up earlier.  This year, I won't give in to those "no school today" desires.  Then maybe this year, it won't get overwhelming.

Day one is always good.

I got up at 6:45 this morning.  This is a huge deal to me, as I am not what you might call a "morning person". Totally out of character, I jumped out of bed, eager to face the day to come.  I turned on the radio just in time to catch the "Good Morning" song by Mandisa.  So I knew right away it was going to be a good day.  I made breakfast, which I never do.  I loaded the dishwasher.  I even got dressed!!  Woohoo!  And it was only 8am.

We started today with prayer time, followed by praise time, followed by Bible time.  And then my favorite part...

We went to our homeschool group's kickoff party!  Two hours of outdoor activities followed by two hours of lunch and fellowship.  That equals for hours of playing and chatting with our friends.  I don't know who came home more satisfied, my kids or me.  What a perfect day!

When we got back home, we weren't quite as eager to go back to our homeschool room.  We were more in the mood for a nap.  But we did go over a few calendar activities before we called it a day.

So here I am.  Telling you that our first day of homeschool was a huge success, but also wondering if perhaps it wasn't the best way to start our year.  I mean, how can we go up from here?

Hmmm...

We've got a full day of school planned tomorrow, filled with Science, Social Studies, Handwriting, Language Arts, Math, etc...  I don't know if I'll wake up quite as eager to start the day.  I doubt I'll be up at 6:45.  I do plan to fix breakfast (this is a major goal for me this year).  I do plan to start with Bible time.  I may even get dressed.

On Day Two we will be at home, doing school.  And isn't that what homeschool is all about?

So, here's to Day Two.  May she continue to hold the potential of a great year ahead.

Or at least be a fun day of learning at home in our jammies.  :)

Happy Homeschooling!

1 comment: